Somerville Community Corporation has developed well over 300 rental and ownership homes for low- and moderate-income households in Somerville.
Residents of our properties are selected via a public lottery. As approved by the State, 70% of the units have a first preference for people who live or work in Somerville. To accomplish this SCC pulls from two sets of lotteries, one specifically for Somerville residents and a second for the entire pool.
In spring 2016, SCC held such a lottery for new housing construction in Union Square, 181 Washington Street. Full lease up of the 35 units of affordable housing apartments will be achieved by fall 2016.
Eight of the apartments at 181 Washington Street are set aside for families earning at or below 30% of area median income. Three will be for families with physical disabilities or impairments. And two are being made available to currently homeless families. All of the units are being constructed to meet LEED for Homes Mid-rise Certification (Platinum Level) and ENERGY STAR Multifamily High Rise Certification.
We expect that the entire 70% of reserved resident units will be occupied by current Somerville residents.
Professional Property Management
SCC has contracted with Winn Residential, to professionally manage our properties. Winn has staff dedicated to SCC’s properties who work out of an office in one of SCC’s buildings. SCC & Winn dedicate great effort to ensuring that our properties are well maintained and serve as assets to their communities.
Resident turnover in SCC’s properties is well below the average apartment turnover and includes properties built over 20 years ago. Some families have been in the apartments since we opened them (which include properties opened over 15 years ago).
- Saint Polycarp Village Phase I
- US Green Building Council LEED-NC Silver Certified
- Energy Star Rated
- HUD Doorknocker Award for Producing Sustainable Housing
- US Green Building Council Innovation in Green Design Award
- EcoHome Design Magazine Merit Award for Sustainability
- Boston Society for Architects Design Award
- Linden Street
- Northeast Green Building Award Honorable Mention, NESEA and MTC's Renewable Energy Trust, 2004
- Honorable Mention for "Commercial & Residential Outstanding Exterior" from Environmental Design + Construction (ED+C)