SCC is the proud developer and owner of 184 affordable rental homes in seven sites throughout Somerville, as well as numerous home ownership opportunities.
Residents of our properties are selected via a public lottery. As approved by the State, 70% of the units have a first preference for people who live or work in Somerville. To accomplish this SCC pulls from two sets of lotteries, one specifically for Somerville residents and a second for the entire pool.
Very recently SCC held such a lottery for our St Polycarp Village project (phase 3), which will begin to be occupied in the spring of 2014. Over 1,100 qualified applications were received for just 31 units, a significant number of whom were existing Somerville residents. We expect that the entire 70% of reserved resident units will be occupied by current Somerville residents.
SCC has contracted with Winn Residential, to professionally manage our properties. Winn has staff dedicated to SCC’s properties who work out of an office in one of SCC’s buildings. SCC & Winn dedicate great effort to ensuring that our properties are well maintained and serve as assets to their communities.
Resident turnover in SCC’s properties is well below the average apartment turnover and includes properties built over 20 years ago. Some families have been in the apartments since we opened them (which include properties opened over 15 years ago).
Saint Polycarp Village Phase I
- US Green Building Council LEED-NC Silver Certified
- Energy Star Rated
- HUD Doorknocker Award for Producing Sustainable Housing
- US Green Building Council Innovation in Green Design Award
- EcoHome Design Magazine Merit Award for Sustainability
- Boston Society for Architects Design Award
- Northeast Green Building Award Honorable Mention, NESEA and MTC's Renewable Energy Trust, 2004
- Honorable Mention for "Commercial & Residential Outstanding Exterior" from Environmental Design + Construction (ED+C)