Somerville Community Corporation (SCC) seeks a Career Coach to join our Economic Opportunity team through the First Source Jobs Program.
The Organization and Its Programs
SCC is a membership organization that provides leadership for sustaining Somerville as a vibrant, diverse and tolerant community. SCC, a 47-year old nonprofit Community Development Corporation (CDC), strengthens the city of Somerville by producing and preserving affordable housing, organizing Somerville residents to campaign for social equity, and providing programming to strengthen participants’ economic and financial standing.
Learn about current job openings at SCC.
SCC has adopted a three-pronged approach to creating and preserving diversity and housing affordability in Somerville:
- Develop and preserve as many affordable units as we can in response to community-driven planning and organizing, and using green and sustainable design principles.
- Organize the community to promote policies that enhance the regulatory and funding environment for affordable housing and good jobs for Somerville residents.
- Create access to economic opportunities for our constituents.
Economic Opportunity and the First Source Jobs Program at SCC
Somerville has become an epicenter for growth and transformation, with an anticipated influx of 30,000 new jobs in the next 15 years. With this growth comes market pressures that drive up the cost of living, resulting in the displacement of residents who cannot afford the increasing expenses. SCC’s goal is to make sure people of all incomes can continue to live and thrive in Somerville, and benefit from the changes taking place.
In addition to building and preserving affordable housing as a means of preventing displacement, SCC recognizes the value of helping people achieve economic stability. Today our economic opportunity work consists of financial education and counseling, first-time homebuyer education, Individual Development Account (IDA) matched savings programs, and the First Source Jobs Program.
The First Source Jobs Program
In response to an organizing campaign to make sure Somerville residents have access to good local jobs, including the anticipated new jobs, SCC launched the First Source Jobs Program in 2014. The First Source Jobs Program connects local residents looking for jobs with local employers. This helps local residents increase their economic stability and have a better chance of remaining in Somerville, while providing employers with a local workforce.
SCC’s role is to work with Somerville residents, especially those facing barriers to employment, to establish a career pathway resulting in good jobs and economic stability. SCC’s approach is relational, with a belief that strong partnerships with people along the career continuum lead to more effective results. We are also committed to a model that makes participants realize they are agents of change, both in their own life and in relation to systems that affect them and their community.
First Source Jobs Program Career Coach
SCC is seeking a new member of our Economic Opportunity team to serve as a Career Coach through the First Source Jobs Program. The Career Coach will work directly with job seekers to provide soft skills training; access to other SCC programming, such as financial literacy and leadership development; referrals to other wrap around services provided by our community partners; and one on one coaching from job search through post-placement.
The First Source team connects our participants with a network of advanced training programs and employers. The coach will work with the SCC team, including staff across the organization (in particular, community organizing) and community members, to align program delivery with an evolving, shared vision. The coach will also help design and execute a pilot cohort training model, to be launched in 2017. The Career Coach will work under the supervision of SCC’s Director of Economic Opportunity.
- Coaching participants of the First Source Jobs Program to establish individual career plans, and provide pre- and post-placement guidance
- Offering direct soft skills training (e.g., resume writing, interview preparation, on-the-job expectations, etc.) for job preparation, both individually and in workshops
- Job search and referral
- Making referrals to other programs and services as appropriate
- Data input, management, and assessment
- Assisting in meeting internal and external reporting requirements
- Recruitment and outreach to various audiences along career preparation continuum (job seekers, trainers, employers)
- Program design and evaluation with team of staff and community members
- Assisting with the creation and improvement of soft skills curricula
- Assisting in creating partnerships with organizations that align with First Source Services
- Participating in coalitions that help to advance the First Source Jobs Program’s vision for economic opportunity
Our Ideal Candidate: Skills and Qualifications
Our ideal candidate is a proactive self-starter who is mission-driven and works well independently and as part of a
team. S/he should bring many of these skills and qualifications:
- Can comfortably manage multiple tasks and projects independently
- Has at least 2 years of experience in workforce field, with a commitment to a relational coaching model as opposed to a case management model
- Is curious and explorative; open to new models of workforce development, including finding synergies with other programs
- Demonstrates leadership in program design and execution
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and commitment to a relational approach to building and reinforcing partnerships
- Has strong oral and written English communication skills, and ability to communicate with English Language Learners
- Computer literate in social media, Microsoft Office suite, and standard database systems (Salesforce a plus)
- Experienced working with people of diverse social and economic backgrounds
- Comfortable working with a range of people in a community-based nonprofit environment.
- B.A. preferred, experience can be substituted for education.
- Proficient in Spanish, Portuguese or Haitian Kreyol (strongly desired)
We seek candidates who embrace our mission, and bring a sense of humor and passion to their work. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
The Selection Process
Please submit a cover letter, detailing your salary requirements and your qualifications for this position, along with a resume via email to Thais DeMarco. No phone calls or letters.
Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received. This position is open as of February 1st, and will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is selected.
Somerville Community Corporation is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage applications from
candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures.