Job Title: Senior Accountant Status: Full-time
Immediate Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer Accounting System: Abila
Somerville Community Corporation (SCC) seeks a Director of Finance to join our Management Team. SCC is a 50-year-old nonprofit Community Development Corporation (CDC) and the only CDC in Somerville (MA). SCC strengthens the city of Somerville by producing and preserving affordable housing, by organizing Somerville residents to give voice to community needs and priorities, and by providing financial stability services to low and moderate income residents.
The Organization and Its Programs
SCC is a membership organization that provides leadership for sustaining Somerville as a vibrant, diverse and tolerant community. We offer services and lead community organizing that supports low- and moderate-income Somerville residents in their efforts to achieve economic sustainability and increase civic participation. SCC has adopted a three-pronged approach to creating and preserving diversity and housing affordability in Somerville:
· Develop and preserve as many affordable housing units as we can in response to community-driven planning and organizing – SCC currently owns and operates 289 units of housing;
· Organize the community to promote policies that enhance the regulatory and funding environment for affordable housing and good jobs for Somerville residents; and
· Create access to economic opportunities for our constituents through financial education, counseling, first time home buyer education, and job and career coaching – SCC currently serves 700 residents annual through these programs.
About the Opportunity: The Senior Accountant is responsible for overseeing the accounting and reporting for SCC, and its related entities, including cash, preparation of account reconciliations, to ensure that all transactions are prepared in a timely manner. This position requires a strong working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, familiarity with the OMB Uniform Guidance, and a high degree of interaction with employees throughout SCC. This position possesses the willingness to assume additional responsibilities, is organized, detail oriented, able to work collaboratively and solve routine problems independently. This position makes recommendations for improvements in efficiencies in internal control processes.
General Ledger/Financial Reporting
· Prepare and process monthly journal entries. Produce monthly financial statements (balance sheet and income statement) for review by the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). This includes posting monthly journal entries such as accrual and prepayments, as well as a review of the general ledger activity and financial reports produced to ensure their accuracy.
· Ensure that monthly income statements reflect budget/actual and variance amounts. Identify significant variances and research explanations for variances.
· Oversee the daily maintenance of the general ledger.
· Prepare and maintain all balance sheet reconciliations on a monthly basis, for review by the CFO.
· Support and assist the CFO with the preparation for SCC’s annual financial statement and compliance audit by ensuring that all audit requested schedules are prepared in accordance with
agreed upon audit schedule; prepare work papers; assist with financial statements and tax returns. Prepare miscellaneous financial reports for various funding agencies, etc.
· Daily monitoring of cash activity between SCC’s various cash accounts and record cash transactions appropriately in the books and records.
· Make deposits for cash receipts weekly, which includes compiling applicable documents supporting the deposit and the transactions recorded in the books and records.
· Code invoices upon receipt and enter them into the accounting system in a timely manner.
· Ensure the internal controls and processes over invoice approvals are being followed.
· Processing cash disbursements which includes, cutting checks and compiling applicable documents such as invoices and approval for review by the CFO.
· Complete bi-weekly payroll for review by the CFO. This includes collection of approved timesheets to support the hours worked by employees.
· Record payroll activity to the books and records, subsequent to review by the CFO (for proper segregation of duties).
Contracts, Grants & Contributions
· Maintain a tracking of unconditionally committed grants and contributions. This includes tracking restrictions associated with applicable grants and contributions to support the treatment in the books and records.
· Maintain a listing of contributions received under the Community Investment Tax Credit (CITC) program and initiate the process of the donor of claiming the tax credit, with instruction and support by the CFO.
· Produce billing for SCC’s various contracts for review by the CFO.
· Assist in the preparation of the annual budget in consultation with the CFO.
· B.S. in Accounting
· 3-5 years of nonprofit account experience.
· Excellent computer skills
· Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
· Affordable housing background, specifically low-income housing tax credits, preferred
The Selection Process
Please submit a cover letter, detailing your salary requirements and your qualifications for this position, along with a resume to: Senior Accountant. email@example.com. No phone calls or letters please.
The position is available now. Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received and will continue until the position is filled. For more information, see our website at www.somervillecdc.org.
Somerville Community Corporation is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures.