Applications are being accepted for a winter 2017 lottery for affordable rental housing at 52 Sydney Street and 293 Alewife Brook Parkway properties in Somerville. the properties are part of the SCC 100 Homes Project. All five (5) units have a Chronically Homeless/Homeless Preference. The application deadline is 4:00 p.m. on December 28, 2017.
All applications must arrive at Somerville Community Corporation (address below). If you’ve mailed the application, and it is received after the 4:00 p.m., December 28, 2017 deadline, it will not be accepted. (Therefore, if mailing, be sure to mail your application at least one week before the delivery deadline.).
Mail applications to:
Somerville Community Corporation
337 Somerville Avenue, 2nd fl.,
Somerville, Mass. 02143
- Download the application.
- Download the information flyer in English.
- Download the information flyer in Spanish.
- Download the information flyer in Portuguese.
- Download the information flyer in French.
About the Property, Homeless Preference and Eligibility
The five newly renovated subsidized apartments include one, two and three bedroom units available for Income Eligible Families and Individuals.
Units come with a subsidy. Tenants will pay the owner 30% of their income for rent, and the owner pays all utilities. All units have a preference for chronically homeless families and individuals or homeless families and individuals, as defined below:
Chronically Homeless: As more fully defined at 24 CFR 578.3, a homeless individual with a disability who lives in a place not meant for human habitation, a safe haven or in an emergency shelter and who has been homeless and lived in such places continuously for at least 12 months or on 4 separate occasions in the last 3 years (with the 4 occasions totaling at least 12 months and separated by at least 7 consecutive days of other housing); or a family with an adult head of household who meets this same criteria.
Homeless: A household who lives in a place not meant for human habitation, a safe haven or an emergency shelter.
Download the application, or pick one up Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the following locations:
- Somerville Community Corporation, 337 Somerville Ave.
- Somerville Homeless Coalition, 1 Davis Square, Somerville
- Somerville Council on Aging, 20 Academy St., Somerville
- Somerville City Hall, 93 Highland Ave., Somerville
- Somerville City Hall Annex, 50 Evergreen Ave, Somerville
- Arlington Town Hall, Planning Dept., 730 Mass Ave, Arlington
- Arlington Youth Counseling Center, 670R Mass Ave, Arlington
- Tenants selected for initial occupancy and waiting list placement through a lottery. Placement determined by lottery number priority and not the time and date of application.
- Lottery will be held at Somerville City Hall shortly after the application deadline. Date to be determined and will be posted on www.somervillecdc.org. Applicants do not need to be present during the lottery, as all applicants will be notified by mail.